Saturday, January 9, 2010

Paper Bag Apple Pie




Around the holidays I always bake apple pies. Every couple of years I will try a new recipe but I always end up back baking my standard recipe. It is such a classic and so simple. It is a little different in the sense that you bake the pie in a big brown bag inside of the oven. My husband thinks that it is one of the best apple pies he has ever tasted, I think he just says that so I will make it more often.


I actually started using this recipe when I was 12. I picked up a recipe book that was made by some church group for 25 cents at a garage sale that summer. This recipe ended up being the only one I ever made from that book but I think the 25 cents was worth it. Hope you enjoy.



Paper Bag Apple Pie

• Unbaked 9” pie shell

• 7 cooking apples (tart)

• 1 cup sugar

• ½ cup plus 2 tbsp flour

• ¼ tsp cinnamon

• ¼ tsp nutmeg

• 2 tbsp lemon juice

• ½ cup butter or margarine, softened



Place prepared crust in a pan. Heat the oven to 400 degrees.

Pare apples, cut each quarter in half making 8 good-size chunks. Slice smaller if you wish.

In large bowl, toss apple chunks with a mixture of ½ cup sugar, 2 tbsp. flour and spices until coated.

Fill pie with apples and sprinkle with lemon juice.

Thoroughly mix ½ up flour, ½ cup sugar, ½ cup butter into soft paste. Spread over apples. Press down gently.

Place pie in paper bag; fasten open end with paper clip. Set on cookie sheet and place in center of oven. Bake one hour and cool on rack for 10 minutes before carefully removing from the bag.



Until Next Time,

Christine

1 comment:

  1. I saw a Bobby Flat throwdown for apple pies and they were baking them in paper bags. I had never heard of this method before. It looks absolutely delicious! I can see how flaky it is. I would love to try it!

    ReplyDelete