Sunday, November 29, 2009

Grandma’s Snickerdoodle Cookies





I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! We sure had a wonderful time with family and friends. I am big on traditions and since we are still kind of newlyweds we are merging traditions we both grew up with into our own traditions. One tradition that Brian grew up was having his grandmother’s Snickerdoodle cookies every Thanksgiving and Christmas. I remember when my mother-in-law gave me the recipe after we had been dating for a couple of years and said I could bake his cookies for him every year now. It really made me feel as if I was part of the family. So if I didn’t bake his cookies for Thanksgiving I would have had a riot on my hands. As it is he has shared his cookies with his coworkers and now I bake dozens of cookies for them, too. This is a simple easy delicious cookie. Enjoy!



Grandma’s Snickerdoodle Cookies

• 1 cup Crisco shortening

• 1 ½ cups sugar

• 2 eggs

• 2 tsp cream of tartar

• 2 ¾ cups sifted flour

• ½ tsp salt.

• Cinnamon and Sugar

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. In mixer, combine the Crisco, sugar, and eggs until well combined.

3. In a bowl, mix the cream of tartar, flour, and salt. Slowly pour the dry mixture into the mixer to combine with the wet ingredients.

4. When all ingredients have been combined into dough, roll the dough into small balls then roll in sugar and cinnamon. Place as balls on ungreased sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden in color.

On another note, that should not be related to the cookies at all (I only had one cookie, B had the rest) but I did have my weigh in over the holiday weekend. I lost another pound. I am now down 22 lbs. Yay! I have never lost weight over Thanksgiving before. It is very encouraging for the rest of the holiday season. We have my company’s holiday party next weekend and knowing I lost weight over Thanksgiving will help with the willpower to say no to all the bad stuff at the party. I am part of a no gain campaign at my gym, which basically is where we signed a contract to not gain any weight over the holidays. We don’t have to lose anything, just not gain any weight. I am one of the few that is currently maintaining the goal and that just boosts my esteem over the weeks to come.


Until Next Time,

Christine

2 comments:

  1. In college, we had a no-gain competition as well. It is a much more manageable goal to have than to try to lose weight over the holidays, although MEGA congrats to you for doing so! Keep making good choices.

    That was so sweet of your mother-in-law to give you the recipe. I can only imagine how good it must have made you feel. These cookies look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so nice that you make those for your hubby now!

    I LOVE snickerdoodles!!

    ReplyDelete